[Wien] Mixer error

Ashley Harvey ashley.harvey at mat.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 21 12:05:12 CET 2007

Dear Wien2k users,

I have had this problem occur at least twice now, and I have not a
clue about what is happening.
I am trying to make a basic calculation for perovskite GdCoO3 in
orthorhombic space group #62 Pnma.
Everything was fine with the initialization and the case.inm files
were (default):

MSEC1	0.0	YES	(BROYD/PRATT, extra charge (+1 for additional e), norm)
0.40				mixing FACTOR for BROYD/PRATT  scheme
1.00	1.00		PW and CLM-scaling factors
9999	8			idum, HISTORY

The mixer.error file says only "Error in MIXER".  The other .error
files are empty.
The first time this occurred, I had selected charge convergence to
0.0001 e.  I changed this to 0.0005 e and re-ran the SCF successfully.
However, this most recent occurrence was first set to converge to
0.0005 e.
Both cases stopped in the mixer of the 19th iteration (17 hours after
start of SCF) with the message (w2web dayfile):
error: command    /usr/local/wien2k/mixer    mixer.def failed
The calculation has ca. 8900 PWs and ca. 35000 CLMs.  When the error
first occurred and I re-ran the SCF, it converged in less than 30
iterations.

Can anyone recommend to me what is happening?  Is it perhaps related
to a previous discussion about mixer:
http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2007-October/
009924.html

Thanks for the help,