[Wien] Accuracy (relevance almost) of lstart energies

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Oct 16 23:01:03 CEST 2007

For which case does this happen ?

To my understanding this can only happen with:

a) nonspherical atoms (with GGA). It is well known that GGAs lead to
some nonspherical occupation (eg. for a C atom 2 p orbitals are
occupied, but one is empty; while lstart occupies all 3 p orbitals equally).

b) non-integer occupation (with TEMP) in transition metal atoms.