[Wien] 2 XEON 5355 or 4 XEON 5150?

Alexander Shaposhnikov shaposh at isp.nsc.ru
Mon Oct 22 10:45:40 CEST 2007

Hello,
the best choice would be to stay away from Intel Quad-core Xeons if possible,
for now at least.
The memory subsystem performance on current gen 5000X/P platform is very low.

To be more specific, 4-channel FB-DIMM memory on this platform is
substantially slower than 2-channel DDR2 memory on desktop.

As a result, SMP scaling with Quad core CPUs is simply inadequate.
Dual-core Xeons will scale better, of course, but there is better alternative.

To tell the truth, for small budget cluster the best bang for the buck would
be Intel desktop Quad-cores, namely Q6600 (2400MHz, 300$), overclocked.
My testing shows that single  Q6600  G0 stepping, overclocked to 3.6 GHz
(which they can easily hit for 24/7 full load operation ) is as fast as two
Xeons X5355. Cost is 2x-3x less.

Best Regards