[Wien] 2 XEON 5355 or 4 XEON 5150?

Florent Boucher Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr
Thu Oct 25 10:28:55 CEST 2007

According to what I know on the iterative scheme (very few but just a
bit of experience with VASP and CASTEP), the memory band width is much
more important for such a scheme compare to ful diagonalization.
So, I suspect that the architecture could behave differently.

> b) I do NOT expect big differences in performance behaviour between
> full and iterative diagonalization except that the performance of the
> blas-library is "less important" simply because the diagonalization time
> is now much smaller, so hamilt and hns gets more important.(i.e. AMD
> will "benefit" from that)

good idea.
I did it already in the past for an MPI test and we have very useful
informations.

> c) I'd consider it more important to have also the timing of HAMILT, HNS
> and DIAG, because this allows to judge the performance of the compiler
> (HAMILT), of the blas-library (DIAG) and a "mixed" value (HNS).
> (grep HORB *output1)

| Florent BOUCHER                    |                                    |
| Institut des Matériaux Jean Rouxel | Mailto:Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr |
| 2, rue de la Houssinière           | Phone: (33) 2 40 37 39 24          |
| BP 32229                           | Fax:   (33) 2 40 37 39 95          |
| 44322 NANTES CEDEX 3 (FRANCE)      | http://www.cnrs-imn.fr             |