[Wien] truncated pathnames - possible cause of errors in wien2k_08.1

Michal Wierzbicki wierzba at if.pw.edu.pl
Wed Apr 16 13:01:31 CEST 2008

In many places in wien2k code pathnames are stored in
CHARACTER*80 variables. Unix usually allows pathnames up to 255
characters. I found this problem when the pathname of a "$case.vector"
file exceeded 80 characters. LAPW2 program tried to read this file with
trucated name such as "$case.ve" and generated an error.

If you look for example in SRC_lapw2/l2main.F at line 448 there is
a call to "mknam" function, which stores its result in FNAME variable
which at line 18 is declared CHARACTER*80

I would suggest to increase hardcoded sizes of character arrays
in the next version of wien2k.

For the time being the simplest solution is to keep pathnames short.