[Wien] DOS in a single k-pointitrary

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Dec 12 09:42:07 CET 2008

What you are looking for is most probably the Bloch spectral function.
Usually this is calculated easily from the Greens function, but Wien2k is not a Green's function method as for example KKR, LMTO, or ASW are
therfore I have no idea how to calculate the Bloch spectral function in Wien2k.

In an ordered lattice, however, the Bloch spectral function is simply a sum of delta-functions (equation in my last mail) and just
reveals the bandstructure. That means, the spaghetti plot of Wien2k tells you already where the Bloch spectral function is non-zero.
If you like to have any other point or line, you simply need to change the input file case.klist_band. This you may do either by hand or by using
XCrysden to be sure where you are in the Brillouin zone.
Anyway, I do not see a real reason what the knowledge about states in points or on lines with arbitrary symmetry should tell,
at least if you do not do an angular resolved photoemission experiment, and even there the knowledge about the states itself does not tell you
about the matrix elements between initial and final states. As physics does not jump, the states on a line close to a high symmetry line
should be close, and inspecting the band structure in the high symmetry directions gives you the idea how the spaghettis should look like
if you are slightly off a certain direction. If you find singular points then something is completely wrong, anyway.

The Bloch spectral function is much more interesting for statistically disordered systems.
In that case you do not have a band structure anymore as the (infinite) periodicity of youre lattice is lost.
Roughly spoken, in such systems the spaghettis will be smeared about each point in k and E.
For Wien2k, there is no need to think further about that situation, as it does not allow to calculate for statistically disordered systems.

Indeed, one should remark that the use of supercells to model statistically disordered systems is very dangerous,
as the artificially brought in symmetry may result in band gaps that are not existent in real live as they become completely
smeared over by the statistical disorder.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University