[Wien] Are fractionally charged atoms possible in Wien2k?

Oleg Rubel rubel at Physik.Uni-Marburg.de
Tue Feb 12 12:57:06 CET 2008

Dear Wien2k Users,

in calculations of polar semiconductor surfaces, I came to the point where
I need to introduce fractionally charged hydrogen atoms in order to
passivate an irrelevant side of the slab. The fractionally charged atom
means an atom with a non-integer nuclear charge and the corresponding
non-integer number of electrons, i.e., 1.25 or 0.75 in the case of
fractionally charged hydrogen atoms.

My first attempt with WIEN2k_08.1 (Release 14/12/2007) was not successful.
I edited the structure file using w2web and put Z=0.75 instead of default
1.0 for hydrogen. In the structure file, I have got 0.8 instead of 0.75,
which is a fault of w2web because Z has F5.2 format. Of course it is not
what I want, but I decided to stay with 0.8 and continue further. Real
problems begin with LSTART. I edited the case.inst file in order to bring
the number of electrons in agreement with the nuclear charge Z=0.8. The
corresponding part of case.inst is shown below:

H 1
1
1,-1,0.7  N
1,-1,0.1  N

LSTART stops on 1S orbital of the pseudohydrogen and generates the
following error message:

ERROR !!! nstop,iter,tets,test 28 1 9.999999939225290E-009

If I put the hydrogen charge back to Z=1 and correspondingly change the
case.inst file, LSTART runs error free.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,

Oleg Rubel