[Wien] :WARNING you might have inconsistent Forces/Energies

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Feb 18 08:23:02 CET 2008

I guess it was mentioned several times (also in the UG):

PORT minimizes the ENERGY, using the forces as guidance how to move the
atoms. In particular for small forces and flat potential-surfaces, you
could have inconsistencies between forces and :ENE; i.e. your minimum of
:ENE does NOT correspond to :FOR = 0  (for various reasons, often simply
because the scf-cycle was not fully converged, k-mesh, RKmax,....).

PORT is on the one hand VERY efficient; on the other hand it may get
completely confused when you have a SINGLE not well converged scf-cycle
in the minimization.

Sometimes it helps to repeat min_lapw, because the removes the
"minimization-history", sometimes it is better to proceed with NEW1, but
check if not only the forces go to smaller values, but also :ENE
decreases. Otherwise you have some problems (at least at that level of
accuracy), and may need other compüutational parameters or sphere sizes!