[Wien] strange time using -it switch

Yongsheng Zhang zhang at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Fri Jan 18 10:10:48 CET 2008

I think I am using $SCRATCH. In my .cshrc file, I have the line,
setenv SCRATCH ./

This machine is a shared memory machine, 4 CPUs in one node. Since the
communication between nodes is slow, I only use one node in k-point
parallel style NOT MPI parallel.

The same thing happens on our IBM Linux cluster, 2 CPUs in one node. -it
switch only works with the line without "$para". It is not a shared
memory machine, and I use "ssh" for parallelization. Moreover, on this
machine, the "-it" switch meets another problem: The first full
diagonalization iteration is fine, and memory is enough for the
calculation, but when it switches to "-it" in the second iteration, and
copy case.vector into case.vector_old correctly, it says "insufficiently
virtual memory".

 LAPW0 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
LAPW2 - FERMI; weighs written
 LAPW2 END
 LAPW2 END
 LAPW2 END
 LAPW2 END
 SUMPARA END
 SUMPARA END
 CORE  END
 MIXER END
 LAPW0 END
forrtl: severe (41): insufficient virtual memory
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source
lapw1              08548873  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              08547E93  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              0850C80E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              084DBFB8  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              084F8832  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              08098779  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              08091A14  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              08055F8C  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              0807832E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              0804EA59  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc.so.6          400BE210  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
lapw1              0804E981  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
[...]

Then I do a test, turning off the "-it" switch, and the job just run
smoothly.

Thank you very much
Zhang

Peter Blaha wrote:
> Are you using $SCRATCH ?
>
> Is this a shared memory machine, do you use ssh or rsh for parallelization ?
>
> execute vec2old_lapw $para on the commandline, eventually add the -x switch
> in the first line of the script.

Address:  Fritz-Haber-Institut, Abt. Theorie
          Faradayweg 4-6 D-14195 Berlin (Germany)
Phone:    +49 30 8413 4818
Fax:      +49 30 8413 4701
Email:    zhang at fhi-berlin.mpg.de