[Wien] Warning: at daemon not running

reza sotudeh sotudeh.reza at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 10:48:18 CEST 2008

Dear All,
We would run our program using at daemon. We see the following error after
pushing CTRL+D:

Warning: at daemon not running

We then tried to restart the atd service as follows:
[root at localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/atd restart
Stopping atd:                                              [FAILED]
Starting atd:                                              [  OK  ]

as you see the service is up. But again we got the last error, i.e.,
Warning: at daemon not running.
Then we tried to stop the service of atd. The result is:
[root at localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/atd stop
Stopping atd:                                              [FAILED]

So we wonder why we cannot stop the bringing up service atd.
We then tried to make a trick. Our trick is:
 echo 1234 >/var/run/atd.pid
then we tried to bringing up the service again:
[root at localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/atd restart
Stopping atd:                                              [FAILED]
Starting atd:                                              [  OK  ]

after this we observe that the at daemon does work.
We thought that the problem is fixed. But unfortunately we observed the
problem again by resubmitting another job.
So we tried once more the above procedure. Sometime the above discussed
procedure works well, and sometime it fails.
We tried to reinstall the atd service, as we just thought that maybe the
problem comes from the atd service. But this also could not help.
We changed on another machine,  which at daemon there worked well, the stack
size to unlimited. Then we found that the at daemon also on this machine
fails to work.

We appreciate if you help us to fix this sever unexpected problem.
Your,
M. Sotudeh