[Wien] How can I run the job on the background?

"Paweł Leśniak, IFMPAN" lesniak at ifmpan.poznan.pl
Thu Jul 9 15:34:18 CEST 2009

W dniu 2009-07-09 14:38, Jian-Xin Zhu pisze:
> Dear Robert, Stefaan, Laurence, and  Tomohiko,
>
> Thank you all for sharing your precious experience with me.
>
> I first tried Stefan and Laurence's suggestion. Unfortunately, because the
> file at.allow is missing in the etc/at directory (I am using a machine
> with 8 CPUs under Mac OS X Leopard), I didn't succeed. I will ask my
> computer administrator to create this file and add my account name into
> the file. I will keep you posted of the result when it is available.
>
> I then saw Robert and Tomohiko's suggestion.
> I tested without the option of -p (.machines file is not set), i.e.,
> serial mode. It worked!
> I now create a .machines file and run the command as
>
> nohup   run_lapw -cc 0.001 -i 40  -p>&  stderrout&
>
> It seems to also work. But I am not sure because Tomohiko put forward his
> suggestion by mentioning specifically the serial mode. Tomohiko, can you
> comment further?

I'd recommend using screen to run jobs "in background". You can always
get back to detached
screen session and have access to previous state of shell(s).
Although much better solution is to run some kind of queuing system,
like PBS or SGE, which
gives you possibility to put many jobs in queue and go on vacation being
sure that jobs are being
run one after other.

Pawel Lesniak