[Wien] optical conductivity or electronic conductivity?

Nazma Ikram nazmaikram at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 04:24:45 CET 2009

Please be clear about two things:

1. Electrons

2.Photons.

When we talk about optical properties such as transparent, reflecting  or an opaque material ,we are talking about those photons which correspond to the optical region of the spectrum.

When we consider electronic conduction, we are talking about electrons.

When we calculate the band structure of a crystalline solid, we get regions of electron energy separated by energy gaps which arise due to the periodicity of the crystal.

We can excite an electron from the valence band to the conduction band in a semiconductor by bombarding photons on the crystal such that these photons have energy larger than the band gap. That is we have photoconductivity.

If you look at the mathematical expression for electronic conductivity, you will find that there is 'difference of the  gradient of energyof the conduction & the valence band' in the denominator.When these two gradients are equal, there is resonance & hence a peak.

 Read the first few chapters of the book on 'The optical properties of solids' by FOX.  It has simple mathematics & gives clear concepts.

All the best.