[Wien] [Wien2k Users] Spin orbit coupling of Atom with many nonequivalent positions

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Mon Feb 1 09:04:43 CET 2010

Do this thought experiment: take a structure with, say, 5 different
inequivalent positions for the same element, and then do something
unphysical: replace on one of the positions only the element by the next
element in the periodic table. Would that really matter? Well...

Or do the following computer experiment: calculate hypothetical bcc-U
with and without spin-orbit coupling, and see what the difference on the
total energy is (this would also be a way to explore the effect of Emax
on spin-orbit coupling -- cfr. one of your previous posts).

Stefaan