[Wien] Fermi Contact Term

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 16 07:31:54 CET 2010

In ionic compounds, the Fermi contact term can sometimes be only a
"small" part of the total Hyperfine field. The orbital (and dipolar)
terms can become large, even for 3d materials, in particular when the
electronic configuration contains eg. a single 3d electron in one
spin chanel (eg. high-spin Fe2+).

However, it is also well known that the contact term is often
underestimated by about 10-20% for eg. Fe.

Also be sure, you do the correct magnetic structure (often they are
antiferromagnetic)