[Wien] Force calculations: a problem with Bi

mazin mazin at nrl.navy.mil
Wed Feb 17 19:36:48 CET 2010

I am calculating a Bi-containing compound, BiOCuS. It has a rather
simple tetragonal structure with two free parameters, Bi (z) and S (z).

When I vary Bi(z) keeping everything else fixed I obtain a well defined
total energy minimum at one z, and a well defined Bu force zero at
another z. Both sets of calculations are well converged, k-mesh
convergence, RKmax, GKmax, fft, linearization parameters, rMT
dependences etc are all tested. Including more semicores states does not
affect the results either. A closer inspection shows that the force
obtain by taking the derivative of the total energy agrees well with the
calculated forces, if the latter are shifted by 63 mRy/bohr (a huge
number). The calculations are nonmagnetic and scalar relativistic.

I vaguely remember having some problems quite some time ago with force
calculations for another Bi compound, but at that time I never got to
the bottom of that.

I wonder if this is a known problem and if anybody stumbled upon it before.

I.M.