[Wien] XCrysDen in w2web?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jan 9 15:05:59 CET 2010

At "localhost" issue:

ssh -X hostname_where_w2web_runs    (the -X option directs the X-windows system to open screens on loc.host)
ps -ef |grep w2web
kill  xxxx     (kill all pids with w2web)
w2web

now you can reconnect with your browser to w2web and xcrysden should open on localhost.

Alternatively xcrysden can always be called from a terminal:

ssh -X w2web_host      (again -X is necessary!!!)
cd case-directory
xcrysden --wien_struct .
(Try also   xcrysden --help  to see all options)

> I have a problem using XCrysDen in w2web remotely.
>
>  From local host, I use the web-browser to connect to w2web in the
> remote machine, by
> safari  http://hostname_where_w2web_runs:7890
> and open a session successfully.
>
> However, when I click "view structure" on the left panel, the Xcrysden
> utility is started on the screen
> of the remote host instead of on my local machine.
>
> One way I can think of: ssh to the remote host and start up xcrysden
> separately and open the structure file.
> However, is there any other way (I mean within w2web) to have xcrysden
> display the picture on the local
> machine?  Both of my machines (local and remote) are the Mac OSX systems.
>
> Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.
>
> Jianxin

Peter Blaha
Inst. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna
Getreidemarkt 9, A-1060 Vienna, Austria