[Wien] New exchange-correlation potential

F. Tran tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jun 10 10:54:36 CEST 2010

Hello,

For volume cell optimization you have two possibilities:

(1) Do the volume cell optimization using LDA or GGA for
both the energy functional and the potential, and then do a
self-consistent MBJ calculation at the obtained volume.

(2) Do the optimization of the unit cell volume (but not the internal
parameters) with indxc=28 (LDA for energy and MBJ for potential).

I recommend to use (1), because the scf convergence with the MBJ potential
can be very slow and probably you don't want to deal with this slow
convergence at every geometry.

In general, comparing total energies by plugging into the energy
functional an electron density which was obtained with a potential
which is not the derivative of the functional is not very good.

Actually, when comparing the total energy of two magnetic states, the
result will depend also on the energy functional. We could have chosen,
e.g., PBE, for the energy functional associated with the MBJ potential.

So, MBJ is interesting for the band structure and magnetic moments, but
much less for the total energy and geometry optimization.