[Wien] SDW calculation ?

Lyudmila V. Dobysheva lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
Wed Jun 16 11:28:30 CEST 2010

Susanta Mohanta wrote
> > My question is regarding the spin structure for a SDW calculation.

The WIENNCM package that is developed by R Laskowski gives a possibility
to make an SDW using small unit cell with the help of generalised Bloch
theorem. Though, it would be interesting to compare the results from both
methods (large supercell with size equal to the SDW length with common
WIEN, and the small cell with the SDW of the same commensurate q-vector
with NCM).

> > the unit cell need to be extended in a particular
> > direction, equivalent or greater than the wave vector
efaan Cottenier wrote
> Generate a default case.inst, which will have initially these occupations:

By the way, from general considerations I am afraid that this method with
supercell for pure Cr will give bad convergency; namely, no convergency at
all. One would possibly need to fix the position of the node of the wave,
somehow. Otherwise, the iteration cycle may jump between equal solutions.

Martin Pieper wrote
>>> If the SDW is not a linear polarized wave but a helical one (I don't
>>> know for Cr) you will, to my knowledge, also be unable to model it
>>> exactly using the standard version of Wien2k, which only knows
>>> colinear spin structures.

WIENNCM makes helical, also.

Best wishes
Lyudmila Dobysheva
Phys.-Techn. Institute of Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci.
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132
RUSSIA
Tel.:7(3412) 442118 (home), 218988(office), 250614(Fax)
E-mail: lyu at otf.fti.udmurtia.su
        lyuka17 at mail.ru
        lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
http://fti.udm.ru/content/view/25/103/lang,english/