[Wien] [Wien2k Users] Overlapping spheres error during Optimize.job

Ghosh SUDDHASATTWA ssghosh at igcar.gov.in
Sat Mar 20 06:51:45 CET 2010

Dear Wien2k Users,

I was trying to do a c/a optimization for hexagonal zirconium (well studied
system; example Blaha'a paper on hcp metals). I used Option 2 in the
optimization and varied the c/a ratio from -20 to +20.

The rkmax was 8.00 and RMT around 2.3

There was an error "overlapping spheres"

Physically if we try to visualize this, when we try to compress the c/a like
-15 or -20%, the RMT would definitely overlap and it is natural that the
structure would not have the best equilibrium c/a. I hope my arguments are
right.

So, there are two options

1 Reduce RMT

2. Reduce -20 to +20 variation to -10 to +10

I chose 2; still got the same error.

Any suggestions

Suddhasattwa