[Wien] Calculation of properties by wien2k for other than zero K

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Mar 21 10:33:16 CET 2010

"nonmagnetic" is a sloppy term.  ferromagnetic, disordered, paramagnetic or diamagnetic
is much more precise.

A "ferromagnetic" material usually does NOT loose its LOCAL magnetic moment above
Tc, but the moments are no longer long range ordered, but get disordered.

Thus in most cases even above Tc a "ferromagnetic" calculation is a much better
approximation than a "nonmagnetic" one !!

The best you could do, is to create a large supercell, put some moments on each
atom with "random" spin-up/dn orientation such that the total moment of the cell
is zero. This corresponds to a "disordered local moment" model of a ferromagnetic
solid above Tc.

In addition you may select TEMPerature broadening with the appropriate temperature.

>                             I have a basic question regarding the
> calculations performed by wien2k. We consider a system which is
> ferromagnetic at its ground state but nonmagnetic at room temperature.
> We now take an experimental structure (at any temperature) and then
> geometrically optimize by constraining its magnetism (using
> runsp_lapw_c.....). Now according to the theory this is a hypothetical
> structure which represents the nonmagnetic system at 0K. Now is it
> feasible to approximate the properties of the nonmagnetic system at room
> temperature by this hypothetical structure?....any response will be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> with regards,
>
> Shamik Chakrabarti

Peter Blaha