[Wien] Iterative diagonalization in SCF cycles

msoumeli at physics.auth.gr msoumeli at physics.auth.gr
Wed Mar 24 20:33:25 CET 2010

At first I tried full diagonalization and it failed. After changing
the convergence criteria it still crashed, so I tried iterative
diagonalization. The command I used was run_lapw -it, which is
iterative diagonalization after the first cycle. My system reached
convergence with this command and my concern is if this command is as
accurate as full diagonalization.

In another case I am studying the file .scf1 containes an atom with
E(top)=-200. When this value appears the scf crashes. Which parameter
affects E(top)? How can I have an easier convergence? And what can
someone do if an scf fails?

Thank you.