[Wien] Deformation of Diamond

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Mon May 10 08:48:23 CEST 2010

There is nothing wrong. You get what you ask for: if symmetry is
lowered, then the irreducible part of the first brillouin zone becomes
larger, and hence it contains more k-points.

You should ponder whether you really need such a low symmetry.

Even if you displace an atom over an infinitesimal distance only, you do
break symmetry (and 0.01 A is much larger than an infinitesimal
displacement).

What you really have to do is: take either the primitive cell, or the
easiest cell in which you can visualize the displacement you want.
Displace the atom you want. Execute sgroup (but without any labels for
the atoms, i.e. let sgroup determine the maximal amount of symmetry it
can find). Accept the result in case.struct_sgroup, and take this as new
case.struct. Do all calculations that are related to that particular
displacement in this cell, including the zero-displacement.

Stefaan