[Wien] Magnetocrystalline anisotropy energy

Pavel Novak novakp at fzu.cz
Tue Sep 21 11:39:11 CEST 2010

Dear Bin Shao,

we did implement the torque method in WIEN2k some years ago, but after
gaining some experience we stopped using it. The problem is that the
conception is not quite correct: when s-o coupling is strong and
magnetization is in a general direction, spin is not along the
quantization axis as we input it in .inso, exception being symmetrical
directions, where Etot(M) has extrema - in case of (001) Fe film these are
e.g. [001], [100], [110]. Then, however torque is zero by definition.
It is thus more reliable to use the 'force theorem'
(i) converge calculation without s-o
(ii) using converged non s-o calculation run lapwso, lapw2up/dn for
     M along symmetry directions. Anisotropy is then given by differences
    of [:SUMup + :SUMdn] for M along say [001] and [100].
To get reliable results for Fe film is not too difficult, as the symmetry
is axial. For bulk Fe it does not work - cubic anisotropy is too small.

Regards
Pavel