[Wien] 'NN' - overlapping spheres during the volume optimization

Volodymyr Svitlyk svitlyk at esrf.fr
Fri Jul 15 15:08:54 CEST 2011

Dear Wien2k community,

I am working on a Fe-Ge compound with about 17% vacancies on one site. I
have set this site as a fully occupied and I am currently trying to
optimize the volume and the atomic coordinates.

For the initial volume optimization run, I have reduced RMTs by 5%, and
as a result I got an the "optimized" volume smaller than the original. I
believe this is expected due to the reduced RMTs. However, in reality,
it would be expected to get a slightly larger volume for this new
"stochiometric" phase.

I have tried to do the volume optimization without reductions of the
RMTs, and I got the " 'NN' - overlapping spheres" error. Then I have
edited the optomize.job file and have left only the trials with the
positive volumes increase. Calculations started with a dstart and
stopped, no errors have been produced. Looking forward to you suggestion.

Thanks a lot.