[Wien] new optimization scheme

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jun 3 14:34:20 CEST 2011

If you have inversion symmetry, then   :FSUM should always be exactly zero,
even when you have only partial (or wrong) forces.

If you do not inversion, :FSUM should still be zero, but due to non-scf conditions
or other problems with basis sets,... it might not be the case.
The  whole set of atoms could then "accelerate" and move freely through your unit
cell (at least in one direction; since symmetry does not change in such cases).
Fixing ONE atom would then avoid such movements.