[Wien] A question regarding a calculation for a 56 atoms unit cell

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 6 08:17:22 CEST 2011

Are you using a recent version with MSEC1 in case.inm or an older one ?

As was mentioned several times gefore: changing the mixing parameter will most likely
NOT help with the new methods.

Using TEMP instead of TETRA may help convergence (but a too large value is dangerous).

Do you have a metallic or insulating state (I understand it SHOULD be an insulator, but do
you get it ?)

How many iterations did you run ? Sometimes (but not very often) more than 40 are required ..

Timing is strange. 56 atoms is not that big and it should not take a week ...
(? 2-fold k-point parallelization ?; OMP_NUM_THREAD =2??? to utilize all 4 cores ??)

I guess nobody can answer if your convergence is sufficient or not. It depends on the prupose
of your calculation. You need to monitor other
quantities like MMT or MMIxxx, FER, forces, :GAP,....