[Wien] difference in forces from mini and scf calculations

Seyed Javad Hashemifar hashemifar at cc.iut.ac.ir
Wed Jun 22 06:37:03 CEST 2011

Dear Fhokrul
Since basis sets in APW/LAPW methods depend on the atomic positions, force
calculations in these methods needs a
special correction called Pulay force [Physics Letters A, Volume 299, 2002,
413] Since calculation of this important correction is somewhat time
consuming, in normal scf calculations that accurate forces are not crucial,
wien2k does not calculate pulay force and print the calculated forces
without this correction (partial forces). But when you are doing mini
calculation or if you change the first line switch of case.in2 input file
from TOT to FOR in a normal scf run, then the Pulay correction is applied to
the calculated force (total force).
Regards
S. Javad Hashemifar

Seyed Javad  Hashemifar
Physics Department, Isfahan University of Technology
84156-83111 Isfahan, Iran
Tel: +98 311 391 2375     Fax:+98 311 3912376
Email:  hashemifar at cc.iut.ac.ir
Homepage:  http://hashemifar.iut.ac.ir