[Wien] exchange coupling constants calculations

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Wed May 18 14:11:18 CEST 2011

Dear Vincent,

The rule is quite simple. Let's take the example of a monoatomic linear
chain.
To obtain the J parameter coupling two adjacent magnetic centers, you
simply have to do 2 calculations:

- one with the ferromagnetic order: FM
- one with the antiferromagnetic order: AFM

You will then obtain two total energies, i.e. E(FM) and E(AFM).

Considering an Heisenberg Hamiltonian, you have:

E(FM) = N²/4 * (-J)

and

E(AFM) = N²/4 * (+J)

Then E(AFM) - E(FM) = N²/4 * (2*J) = N²/2 * J

where N is the number of unpaired electrons on the magnetic center.

For example, for N = 1:

J = 2 * (E(AFM) - E(FM))

The present example is very simple and you could imagine that for more
complex structures it will be more difficult to realize a mapping
analysis. Then the idea is:
- to use more magnetic orders than unknown J parameters
- to do a least-square procedure to find the J values ...

Here is and example of calculations I did with Peter and Karlheinz on CuO:

http://iopscience.iop.org/0953-8984/22/4/045502

If you do not have access to the paper, I could send it to you.

Regards

Xavier