[Wien] WIEN2k on Xeon 5500 Series

Aaron Sutton asutton at physics.utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 10 21:31:20 CET 2011

Hi,
I am experiencing a segmentation fault when running WIEN2k compiled
using the most recent version of the Intel FORTRAN compiler & MKL
library (composer_xe_2011_sp1.7.256). The computer it's being run on
is a 2009 Mac Pro with 2 quad core intel xeon 5500 series processors
at 2.93GHz and 8GB RAM. The computer is natively running Ubuntu Linux
11.10 (though the same issue occurred while running 11.04). WIEN2k is
compiled using the default flags and links provided by the Linux with
Intel FORTRAN v12.0 + MKL option of siteconfig_lapw, no modifications.
The software compiles without error. Upon running the software, either
through the web interface or using run_lapw in the case directory,
lapw0 completes successfully and then I receive:

LAPW0 END
forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
IMAGE                           PC
   ROUTINE                              LINE
     SOURCE

libmkl_mc3.so                 00002B0321624A30               Unknown
                            Unknown                          Unknown

>stop error

According to the intel compiler documentation, the libmkl_mc3 library
is a kernel library specifically for core i7 type processors, which
the Xeon 5500s are. I do not link specifically to libmkl_mc3.so
anywhere as I am using the default options. I can report that this
error does not occur on i3 or i5 processors. Any thoughts on how to
remedy this situation?

Thank you.
Aaron Sutton
Ph.D. Candidate | University of Toronto
Office: McLennan MP090 | Phone: +1 416 946 3639
Email: asutton at physics.utoronto.ca