[Wien] spin texture?

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue Oct 4 22:08:42 CEST 2011

I do not calculate spinorientation with Wien2k as I am usually interested in the spin of photoemitted electrons
and for that I use my own program (because the polarization of the emitted electrons will also depend on the photon polarisation and not just on the polarisation
of the initial (ground) state wave function)
 I can give only a short general answer (you find more details in the Kessler book, and more correct as its hard to distinguish here row and column and matrices)
Lets assume only the large component and a wave function given as (a, b) (just the up and down components)
that is normalized such that  aa* + bb* = 1
then the 3 components of the polarisation vector are  (note, here * is the Hermetian and not just the conjugate and, indeed not a multiplication)
Px = a* b + b* a = Re(a* b)
Py = i(b* a - a* b) = Im(a* b)
Pz = a a* - b b*  = |a|^2 - |b|^2

Oftenly, the spin polarisation is assigned to Pz only, but you can easily find examples that this is not true.
Note also the nice example in Kesslers book that the coherent superposition (1 0) + (0 1) = (1 1)  of pure up and down spinor (should be columns not rows) wave functions
does not lead to an unpolarized wave function (just put it into the definition given above), now you should know how to build
a s wave function with polarization along x or y from s1/2,1/2 and s1/2,-1/2.

There are also two other good (but old) books on spin polarized electrons at surfaces
one by Kirschner and one by Feder (I don't remember the complete titles).

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University