[Wien] A general question about Spin Polarized calculation/materials

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Oct 7 08:55:31 CEST 2011

Read a textbook about magnetism to find how the magnetic moments of diamagnetic, paramagnetic, or ferromagnetic
materials are oriented when a external magnetic field is applied.

Spin up and spin down have in the calculations principally no meaning they are just used to distinguish
electrons with different spin.
Try Fe for example, if you do 2 calculations one with initial spin up and one with initial spin dn,
you should receive identical results just with the spin up and down density of states interchanged,
that is one will have a negative magnetic moment.
If you define correctly majority and minority electrons (instead of up/dn)  then you will have in both cases a positive magnetic moment.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University