[Wien] Need advice for modeling the band gap in a charge transfer insulator

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Oct 25 15:39:45 CEST 2011

Are you sure, your LDA+U calculations are done correctly ?
You have to make spin polarized calculations with the correct magnetic order.
Often a FM state is metallic, while the proper AFM state is insulating.

The full hybrid-DFT method will be available in the next release.
However, this is an expensive method and you cannot apply it to large
systems. At least you will need a powerful cluster with many nodes ...

PS: Have you done mBJ calculations ? In our experience this is at least as
accurate as hybrid DFT at a fraction of cpu-time when you need only the
bands/DOS.
It also works well for "correlated" electrons and in addition it does not have
a parameter (like the alpha in hybrid-DFT or the U in LDA+U).