[Wien] problems with wien2k 11 installation

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Thu Apr 26 01:08:56 CEST 2012

If the error is coming from composerxe, there are two possible causes
that I can think of:

1) Software bug(s)
2) Instruction set compiler option

More details are given below.  Though, the problem is less likely to be
caused by composerxe since the TiC runs without error.

In case you don't know, there is a fairly extensive list of composerxe
bug fixes that have been made since the update 5 you are using. You can
check out the full list of bugs since update 5 at:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-composer-xe-2011-compilers-fixes-list/

The bug fixes in Update 9 that I see that 'might' have a significant
effect on Wien2k:

DPD200167060     Fortran                     Intel Fortran Compiler 12.0
fails to vectorize a loop which works in version 11
DPD200174066     Fortran                     Incorrect results with the
optimization turned on
DPD200261402     C, C++, Fortran      Memory leak for function
parameters with size >64k

According to the mkl library list at:

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/composerxe/en-us/mklxe/mkl_userguide_lnx/MKL_UG_Appdx__C/Directory_Structure_intel64_dyn.htm

libmkl_avx.so is the "Kernel optimized for the Intel(R) Advanced Vector
Extensions (Intel(R) AVX)"

According to the composerxe user and reference guide:

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/composerxe/en-us/2011Update/fortran/lin/index.htm

The default option when -x option is not specified is SSE2.  If you used
the recommended compiler options by siteconfig in Wien2k, then I believe
-xcode is not specified and uses the SSE2 instruction set.

As described at:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-intel-compiler-options-for-sse-generation-and-processor-specific-optimizations/

You can specify the compiler option AVX instruction set depending on the
generation of the i7 processor:

-xCORE-AVX2 (for future generation)
-xCORE-AVX-I (for 3rd generation)
-xAVX (for 2nd generation)
-xSSE4.2 (for previous generation)

or

-xHost (should select this for you, the highest instruction set for the
processor)

So I wonder if the libmkl_avx.so error is coming from not specifying the
AVX instruction set in the Wienk2 compiler options.  This is something
you would have to test, since I don't have an i7 system.

An alternative to changing the instruction set might be to not link
libmkl_avx.so.  I don't know whether you manually specified -lmkl_avx in
your mkl options or if it was automatically selected by one of your
given libraries (my guess would be by -lmkl_core).