[Wien] MPI parallel execution take much time than nonparallel on the same case on the multiprosesor single machine

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Apr 26 18:22:27 CEST 2012

How many cores do you have, and what version of mpi are you using?
Running mpi with only 3 processes on one machine is almost certainly
not going to be efficient and for that just stay with non-mpi. With a
dual quadcore (8 cores) or more it can be, provided that the mpi
version you use optimizes well.

N.B., for mpi you want OMP_NUM_THREADS=1, threads and mpi conflict.