[Wien] Problems in convergence due to application of mBj potential

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Aug 29 16:36:45 CEST 2012

First, a reminder. Using MSR1a with mBJ is a computational experiment.
It may not give reasonable results, or it might -- I do not know and I
am not sure that anyone does, yet. The "standard" method is not to
vary the atomic positions with mBJ, but this may not be optimal.

One thing to check, in your case what are the positions like in the
substrate? Assuming that you have made this thick enough (e.g. 20 au
or more) in the center the positions should be close to those with PBE
and/or the bulk. If they are wildly different this implies that the
bulk lattice parameters for PBE do not match well those from mBJ. (Of
course, if you have only used 2 layers or so of substrate you cannot
test this.)

When you say "it did not converge with MSR1a", what exactly do you
mean? It may be better to send the case.struct and case.scf files to
my email directly.

If you fix some atoms in case.inM, then the ones which are not fixed
will move. While some people argue that this is OK, I have
reservations. If you fix all the atoms in case.inM then MSR1a will
crash on you -- you have to use MSR1 (or MSEC3).

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Luis Carlos Ogando Dacal
<ogando at ieav.cta.br> wrote:
> Dear Prof. Laurence Marks (and WIEN2k users),
>
>    I would like to report my recent experience in using MSR1a with
> mBJ. I have a semiconductor system composed by In and P atoms that I
> relaxed using PBE. After that, I tried the mBJ SCF cycle using PRATT
> as recommended in section 4.5.9 of the WIEN Users Guide. I got the
> convergence after a long cycle (strict convergence criteria), but no
> convergence was obtained with MSR1a.
>    If you want any detail of my system and/or calculation, just send
> me an e-mail.
>    Another point, my system tries to simulate a substrate and a cap
> stressed layer. As a consequence, I need to fix the substrate atoms
> during the SCF cycles. I would like to know if this can be done with
> case.inM when using MSR1a (or any other way). I believe that fixing
> atoms leads MSR1a to behave like MSR1. Is this right ?
>    All the best,
>                   Luis Ogando
>

> 2012/8/22 Laurence Marks <L-marks at northwestern.edu>:
>> I am sure Peter had a typo - I think he meant MSR1 not MSR1a. Whether MSR1a
>> is a good idea with mBJ is currently unclear; there was a recent discussion
>> of this, look in the email archives.
>>
>> A good topic where readers of this list could contribute is testing whether
>> MSR1a with mBJ is physically reasonable and reporting back.
>>
>> On Aug 22, 2012 8:47 AM, "Madhav Ghimire" <ghimire.mpg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Prof. Marks,
>>>     Thank you very much for replying immediately. I was just replying to
>>> your post.
>>> As in userguide of wien2k, it is suggested to edit the case.inm and change
>>> MSR1a with PRATT as MSR1a leads to convergence problems in mBj. Hence, I
>>> performed the calculations by changing MSR1a with PRATT.
>>> I will follow to what you suggest right now and report within a day or
>>> two.
>>> Please let me know more if I have to be cautious somewhere in the
>>> calculations.
>>> Thanks.