[Wien] Problems in convergence due to application of mBj potential

Luis Carlos Ogando Dacal ogando at ieav.cta.br
Wed Aug 29 19:03:44 CEST 2012

Dear Prof. Laurence Marks,

   Let me answer you using your previous message.

> First, a reminder. Using MSR1a with mBJ is a computational experiment.
> It may not give reasonable results, or it might -- I do not know and I
> am not sure that anyone does, yet. The "standard" method is not to
> vary the atomic positions with mBJ, but this may not be optimal.

   Yes, I know. I just tested MSR1a as you asked the WIEN mailing list
in a message you sent in August, 22. I will keep on the calculation
using the standard and reliable methods. My report was just a little
contribution to your efforts.

> One thing to check, in your case what are the positions like in the
> substrate? Assuming that you have made this thick enough (e.g. 20 au
> or more) in the center the positions should be close to those with PBE
> and/or the bulk. If they are wildly different this implies that the
> bulk lattice parameters for PBE do not match well those from mBJ. (Of
> course, if you have only used 2 layers or so of substrate you cannot
> test this.)

   Actually, I did not optimized the structure using MSR1a. I did it
in a previous calculation with MSEC1 and PBE with case.inM fixing the
substrate positions. Only after that, I used mBJ to improve the gap.
When I employed mBJ with PRATT (0.2 followed by 0.4 mixing factors) I
got the convergence in the SCF cycle and a smooth decrease in ETEST.
In the MSR1a test, I noticed abrupt changes in ETEST and after the
last iteration I got the message "energy in SCF NOT CONVERGED".
   As I was not optimizing the structure when using MSR1a, I had not a
case.inM file and all the atoms changed position during MSR1a
calculations. Despite the fact that I used a thin substrate (I will
improve this in a next step), the atomic positions changed only by a
factor of 10^(-3) when compared to the previously PBE relaxed
structure (It is important to remember that MSR1a did not converged
and I used the last generated case.struct to compare with PBE relaxed
structure)

> When you say "it did not converge with MSR1a", what exactly do you
> mean? It may be better to send the case.struct and case.scf files to
> my email directly.

   I was talking about the message at the end of the MSR1a calculation
("energy in SCF NOT CONVERGED"). I have not calculated any physical
property of the system.
   I will send you the files in another message.

> If you fix some atoms in case.inM, then the ones which are not fixed
> will move. While some people argue that this is OK, I have
> reservations. If you fix all the atoms in case.inM then MSR1a will
> crash on you -- you have to use MSR1 (or MSEC3).

   All the best,
                    Luis