[Wien] Time taken to run a 60 atom/cell program

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 14 13:04:55 CET 2012

Unless this a a magnetic and metallic 4f system or similar your
parameters a way too large.

For an insulator one can even start with 1-4 k-points only, run the scf
cycle, even do a structure minimization. Once this is done, CHECK your
results with more k-points. Usually you reach convergence of the new scf
cycle quickly and just compare the quantity of interest with more/less
k-points to have an idea about its convergence.

For many properties (spectra,..) a good k-mesh is finally necessary, but
it does not need to be done in scf, but one iteration is enough.

Similar with RKMAX: if your "smallest atom (RMT) is for a non-transition
metal (C,N,O,..) you can even start with RKmax=4-5 in very big cases. At
least the structurl optimization will be pretty ok with such values.
Again, it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to continue later with better RKMAX
and COMPARE your results for the two parameter sets.

I strongly suggest to get used to such calculations with (much) smaller
systems !!!!