[Wien] supercell

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Feb 17 22:52:49 CET 2012

There is no general answer for the Heusler compounds (as is also true for all other classes of compounds)
but I have some hundred calculations on my computer that show that 2000k points in the full BZ are not enough to have any reliable results for Heusler compounds.

Usually you should check for converegence, that is follow what happens with physical
quantities (magnetic moments, band gaps) when you increase the number of k points.
If you have this for the primitive cell, then you may use the suggestion of Laurence for the supercell.

As the supercell calculations may be much more timeconsumptive, you may start again with a somewhat lower amount of k-points for the supercell (just to see a preliminary result)
If you need the supercell for example for phonons than you should check again wether the forces are converged with respect to the number of k-points.
As Laurence mentioned, try to stick with the density of points rather than with a given number, as it may also depend on the shape and symmetry of youre supercell, that is it will differ for 8x1x1 compared to 2x2x2 cells.

By the way, you should test the behavior of the properties also with respect to the number of plane waves (Rmt * kmax) and in some cases this may be more critical than the number of k-points.

But finally the things always depend on the particular case that you are calculating (symmetry, metal or semiconductor, magnetic system, etc.)
and what you like to know from the calculation, for a bad defined density of states with arbitrary band gaps already 100 points in the full BZ
may be enough, however, for a good transport calculation you may need in some cases up to 64000 points in the full BZ.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University