[Wien] negative grr values in mBJ calculation causing lapw0 to fail

Neil Johnson nwj781 at campus.usask.ca
Tue Jul 10 19:33:31 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I am attempting to perform an mBJ calculation using the steps listed in
sec 4.5.8 of the user's manual. However, lapw0 keeps failing in the
final scf cycles after switching to IXC=28. We tracked the problem down
to a negative GRR (∇ρ/ρ = -36.0544), the square root of which is taken
to calculate "c for IXC=28" in lapw0. Taking the square root of a
negative number is generally frowned upon, and the program spits out a
lot of "NaN"s before failing.

Has anyone experienced this problem before, or know what would cause
lapw0 -grr to produce a negative GRR value?

I've posted the output0 and output0_grr files to
http://homepage.usask.ca/~nwj781/lapw0/
<http://homepage.usask.ca/%7Enwj781/lapw0/> for reference. Thanks!

Cheers,

Neil Johnson