[Wien] xcrysden large multipler k-points

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Mon Jul 30 08:32:48 CEST 2012

What large values did you use in xcrysden for the multiplier and
k-points?  Someone else might be able to comment on whether you can use
smaller values and still get accurate results.

I see your posts on the xcrysden mailing list:

http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/xcrysden/2012-July/001215.html
http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/xcrysden/2012-July/001223.html

 From the posts, it looks like the number of k-points you used is
possibly greater than 99672.  You currently cannot use

multipiler*k-points > 5-digits (i.e., 99,999)

If the larger outputted values are really needed, it could probably be
done by changing all the "4I5" to say "4I8" in F/kPath.f that is in the
xcrysden source package (xcrysden-1.5.53.tar.gz).  However, you have to
compile the xcrysden code.  There are some useful instructions on the
web for compiling the xcrysden source in Debian or Ubuntu
(https://sites.google.com/site/jamesanalytis/xcrysden-in-ubuntu-10-04),
but have not seen for other Linux distributions if one wants to attempt it.

Since your not quite a "linux guy", you will probably want to send your
struct file (while providing also the multiplier and k-points value
used) to Tone as requested on the xcrysden mailing list so that a linux
binary package with changes can be provided if needed.