[Wien] assingned cores can not be used totally

Lyudmila Dobysheva lyuka17 at mail.ru
Wed Jun 13 10:40:19 CEST 2012

On 11.06.2012 11:31, Wang Jing 王静 wrote:
>     It seems that I can't use all my assignation cores while doing the parallel calculation.
> For example , I assigned 4 cores in the .machines file for K points parallel calculation.
> It sometimes shows only 2 cores when I checked during the processing(even for lapw1).

Can't it be that two processors have already done their job, while the
other two still work as their matrix is larger (more eigenvalues)? When
calculation is long I always see that cores stop working one after
another, till all of them fulfill lapw1, and then they go to lapw2 all
together.
How do you see this behavior? Look in the dayfile, there should be
information about how many time was given to the task by each core.

Best wishes
  Lyudmila Dobysheva
Phys.-Techn. Institute of Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci.
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132
RUSSIA
Tel.:7(3412) 442118 (home), 218988(office), 250614(Fax)
E-mail: lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
         lyuka17 at mail.ru
Skype:  lyuka17, lyuka18
http://fti.udm.ru/content/view/25/103/lang,english/