[Wien] A question regarding magnetic/spin calculation in Wien2k please

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Fri Mar 9 17:12:35 CET 2012

If you start from a ferromagnetic situation, you will converge towards a
ferromagnetic state (I never encounter other situations).
However, it does not mean that you will find the global minimum in terms
of magnetic structure.
It simply means that you have converged the electronic density related
to the ferromagnetic configuration of your system (It will be a local
minimum - a metastable situation).

To know which magnetic structure is the more stable, you should try
different magnetic ordering, or at least one ferromagnetic situation and
few antiferromagnetic situations (if possible). Then by comparing the
total energy of the different situations you will see which one is the
more stable.

In the other hand, another way to estimate the magnetic interactions in
a system is to estimate the magnetic exchange couplings, J(ij), using a
mapping analysis (based on energy differences between different magnetic
orders). It will give you the nature of the magnetic interaction in all
directions and will help you to figure out what is the fundamental
magnetic state of your system.

Best Regards

Xavier