[Wien] SCF calculation with noncentrosymmetric materials

EGUCHI Gaku geguchi at scphys.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat May 26 13:42:40 CEST 2012

Dear WIEN2k users,

I'm user of the newest version of WIEN2k, and I'd like to ask for the
help, to calculate
the band structure of a noncentrosymmetric no spin-polarized materials.,
e.g.,
Mo3Al2C, Li2Pt3B (Space group P4332), and LaPt3Si (Space group P4mm).

What I want to do is that, calculate the bandstructure with/without
spin-orbit interaction
of these noncentrosymmetric, no spin-polarized materials. I usually run
SCF with default
setting, and then `initso' and rerun SCF with spin-orbit. For
centrosymmetric materials,
I haven't had any errors.

I usually uses w2web, and use `x kgen', but in this case the inversion
symmetry is added.
To avoid it, I run `initso' from the terminal to prepare case.ksym and
run `x kgen -so'. Then I could get the correct case.klist, but  it ended
with the error at the `x dstart'
attached below.
---------------------------------
Commandline: *x dstart -c -c*
Program input is: *""*

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 81, file /home/WIEN2k/withSO.rsp
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source
dstart             00000000004BAF6A  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
dstart             00000000004B9AE5  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
dstart             0000000000467B96  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
dstart             00000000004326C6  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
dstart             0000000000431E39  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
dstart             0000000000446653  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
dstart             000000000040F4F7  init_                      96  init.f
dstart             000000000040E39D  MAIN__                      9  dstart.f
dstart             00000000004035DC  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc.so.6          00002BA13ABA1EFF  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
dstart             00000000004034D9  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
0.000u 0.000s 0:00.00 0.0%	0+0k 0+16io 0pf+0w
error: command   /home/wien2k_v11/dstart dstart.def   failed

----------------------------------

I could not find the solution in ML, and according to UG, the
program`symmetso' is for
the spin-polarized case, and I found another sentence, referring about
the inversion
symmetry on page 148 (OPTIC) as follows:
--------------------------

 0.

    In cases of non-spinpolarized spin-orbit calculations WITHOUT
    inversion symmetry one must do some tricks and "mimick" a
    spinpolarized calculation:

    ? cp case.vsp case.vspup
    ? cp case.vsp case.vspdn
    ? cp case.vectorso case.vectorsoup ? x lapw2 -fermi -so -c
    ? cp case.weight case.weightup
    ? cp case.weight case.weightdn
    ? x optic -so -up
    ? x joint -up

---------------------------

Do I need some `special' technique to execute the calculation? Or if
someone knows the
procedure of the calculation I want to do, could you please tell me?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Gaku Eguchi

Gaku Eguchi
Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University
Oiwake-cho, Kitashirakawa, Sakyou-ku, Kyoto 606-8502, Japan
Laboratory  TEL   : +81-75-753-3744
E-mail : geguchi at scphys.kyoto-u.ac.jp
http://www.ss.scphys.kyoto-u.ac.jp/index.html.en