[Wien] Multicore on i7 iMac

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Apr 16 15:17:56 CEST 2013

How many "real" cores do you have ? Most likely only 4 (the 8 comes from
hyperthreading, but for numerical intensive application one should
probably not use hyperthreading).

So the "best" performance can probably be reached either by:

OMP_NUM_THREADS=2   and 2 lines in .machines or
OMP_NUM_THREADS=1   and 4 lines in .machines

(it may even depend on the number of k-points in the specific case ..)

On 04/16/2013 02:49 PM, pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu wrote:
> Dear Prof. Blaha,
>
> Thank you for the answer. In the meantime I have realized this mistake.
>
> I have now all 8 threads practically fully utilized (HT Intel i7 in iMac)
> for lapw1 and lapw2. It reduced the iteration from approx. 7.2min to
> 5.5min (compared to utilizing 4 threads only with OMP_NUM_THREADS).
>
> I think it solves my problems for now. Again thank you for your support
> and rapid answers.
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz
>

>> Your   .machines file is wrong. It contains more than one hostname per
>> line (or has a localhost:2)
>>
>> With the proper .machines file, mpirun is not needed:
>>   > bash: mpirun: command not found
>>
>> --------------------  .machines --------------
>> 1:localhost
>> 1:localhost
>>
>> This file with split the klist into two parts and run two lapw1-jobs
>> simultaneously.
>>
>> On 04/16/2013 11:48 AM, pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu wrote:
>>> Hello Prof. Blaha, Prof. Marks,
>>>
>>> ssh localhost works now without login!!
>>>
>>> I have more errors now when trying to run parallel mode, see below.
>>>
>>> In UG there are sections 5.5.1 (k-point parallelization) and 5.5.2 (MPI
>>> parallelization). I understand these two modes are separate, and I would
>>> like to focus on k-point parallelization for now. I am not sure why
>>> there
>>> is an error regarding the mpirun. My parallel_options file is now:
>>>
>>> setenv USE_REMOTE 0
>>> setenv MPI_REMOTE "1"
>>> setenv WIEN_GRANULARITY 1
>>>
>>> But with other options I have the same error.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate if there is something obvious which I do wrong. In
>>> any
>>> case I will continue to work on the issue with my IT department here.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Lukasz
>>>

>>>    LAPW0 END
>>> bash: mpirun: command not found