[Wien] Wien2Wannier with spin-orbit coupling

Elias Assmann elias.assmann at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 15:27:33 CEST 2013

Dear Kyohn,

I finally got a chance to look into your problem, and I can reproduce
the behavior you describe. Without SO everything worked fine.  With SO,
the projection clearly went awry: The spreads were too large (~16 Ų vs
~4 Ų in the non-SO case), the centers were off, and the Wannier
bandstructure was bad also.  Is that what you saw?

I then tried the example on a different machine, because I had a
different Wien2k version there -- I thought maybe something about SO had
changed and broken the w2w procedure.  There, I really did get good
results, but it turns out that the key difference was the compiler and
LAPACK library used for wannier90.

The problem happened when I used ‘ifort’ together with the ATLAS
library.  I tried various combinations of ifort/gfortran and
MKL/ATLAS/netlib, but only ifort+ATLAS seems to have this problem.

Can you please try if a similar strategy works in your case?

	Elias