[Wien] Electron density at ruthenium nucleus

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 7 11:38:32 CET 2013

I checked your scf and struct files:

a) Please use identical RMT for Ru for the 2 cases. Since RuO2 forces
you to have r(Ru)=2.0), use it also for hcp-Ru.
(I don't think the effect will be very large, but ...)

b) You cannot do these calculations with just ONE k-point !
For metallic Ru you should use something like "10000" when running
x kgen;
and since also RuO2 is metallic, use a similar number (maybe 5000, since
RuO2 contains more atoms/cell than Ru).

c) Finally, check how much the differences in :RTO   depend on
RKMAX (case.in1; 7 by default). Once you have the first scf-calculation
saved, increase it to 8, do another run_lapw and compare the resulting RTO

The possible errors are not so easy to quantify. Besides computational
parameters (which you can check as mentioned above), the error from DFT
is hard to quantify and only from experience for a certain quantity in
comparison with experiment we can estimate it.
 From my experience with Isomer shifts in Fe (Mössbauer), it should be
ok within 10-20 %, but it could be different for Ru ....

ForwardedMessage.eml