[Wien] supercell

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 10 07:52:50 CET 2013

I don't know if your method is correct, since I don't know your method.

But:
 >  > I want to dope an element Y into the inverse spinel structure AB2O4.  It has spacegroup 227 Fd-3m.  However, Wien2k led me to use spacegroup 74 Imma with B lattice
for this
 >  > structure, because it requires use of non-equivalent atoms.

Already this statement makes me suspicious. You have to use SG 227 ! But remember: there are 2 different "settings"
of this SG and you have to enter the positions compatible with the setting with inversion symmetry.
Study the spacegroups (see the link to the Bilbao-server)

I suggest you start out with elemental Si and try to setup this structure correctly.

Once you have your spinel with SG 227, you run  supercell.

You have to think how large your supercell should be (how many atoms you want to have). Typical
values range from 32 to 128 !!!
So if your original   F-centered cell has 7 atoms (or 14 ? I can't remember exactly ...) you can
run supercell:
1x1x1, P-lattice. This gives 4x7 =28 atoms (which is very small). Then you would eventually
split a position and introduce the dopant.

2x2x2, F-lattice: 8+7=56 atoms is a bit better
2x2x2, B-lattice: 16x7 atoms, pretty good ...
2x2x2, P-lattice: 32x7=224 atoms:  very good...

If your original cell has more atoms (14) the procedure is very similar, but of course you would stop earlier.

email: pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at