[Wien] Confusion in Selecting proper value of Hubbard potential.

Hong Jiang jiangh99 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 20 08:31:02 CEST 2013

Hi,
The Hubbard U correction in LDA/GGA+U is to correct the failure of
LDA/GGA to describe localized d- or f-states.  Therefore LDA/GGA+U is
able to give an accurate band gap only if the band gap of your system
happens to be of d-d or f-f character, which, however, not the case for
most systems (see, e.g. H. Jiang, et al. /Phys. Rev. B/ *82*, 045108
(2010)). <http://prb.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v82/i4/e045108>

To obtain accurate band gaps, you can try
* modified Becke-Johnson, ( F. Tran and P. Blaha, Phys. Rev. Lett.
*102*, 226401 (2009)
<http://link.aip.org/link/?&l_creator=getabs-normal1&l_dir=FWD&l_rel=CITES&from_key=JCPSA6000138000013134115000001&from_keyType=CVIPS&from_loc=AIP&to_j=PRLTAO&to_v=102&to_p=226401&to_loc=APS&to_url=http%3A%2F%2Flink.aps.org%2Fabstract%2FPRL%2Fv102%2Fe226401>;
H. Jiang (J. Chem. Phys. *134*, 134115(2013)
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4798706> )
* hybrid functionals, (F. Tran and P. Blaha, Phys. Rev. B 83, 235118
(2011) <http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.83.235118>)
* GW (if your system is not very big).  (H. Jiang et al. Computer Phys.
Commun.,*184*, 348(2013) <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cpc.2012.09.018>).

     Hong

? 2013/7/20 14:03, Zaid ??: