[Wien] wien2k help

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Jun 5 15:21:31 CEST 2013

To clarify, the guide from the Intel website is misleading and/or nonsense!

The switch -i8 makes the default size for integers 8 bytes (integer*8
or KIND=8) which will almost certainly break large parts of Wien2k
which uses "standard" Fortran where the default size of intergers is 4
bytes. (I rate it at a 1% chance that it will work.)

The flag -r8 makes the default size of reals 8 bytes which is what
Wien2k uses almost everywhere -- this may be the same as -pc80 (Intel
keeps changing its options). With a few exceptions all real variables
in Wien2k are double precision and -r8 will just catch a few constants
which have not been properly declared (technically minor bugs).

As Gavin said, you also should use lp64 not ilp64.

Last, but not least, I suggest changing -ip to -ipo1, add -O2, remove
-pad and add  -assu buff . The last one is very important and can lead
to a factor of 2 or more speed improvement on busy networks.

I also like to use -i-static -fminshared -xHost for the final
executables. I suggest that you look through the ifort man page to
understand what these options do, and experiment a bit.

--
Professor Laurence Marks