[Wien] large system calculation

Oleg Rubel orubel at lakeheadu.ca
Thu Jun 20 15:36:32 CEST 2013

As far as I know, P. Blaha and his group did a calculation for several
hundreds of atoms, which is closer to your aim. I will make a comment
based on my experience with ~100 atoms supercell.

*k-points: 1-kpt should be sufficient for relaxation of atomic
positions; for optics you probably need more kpts.
*RMTs: http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/faq/rmt.html (aim for lowest
possible disparity between atoms).
*diagonalization: iterative for sure (on 100 atoms calculation the speed
up is x10).
*RKMAX: depends on RMTs, but maybe start with 5; think about an
effective RKMAX for individual atoms if RMTs are too different.
*computing: you will probably need about 0.5-1 TB of RAM for such an
ambitious project, probably ~300 cores and InfiniBand interconnect
between compute nodes; do not send *vector files over the network,
rather use local storage.

I am not sure how the 'optics' package will handle the momentum
conservation in the case of zine folding, which is inevitable here.

Regards
Oleg